Monday, July 22, 2013

Remembering the first Romeo + Juliet Movie

Back in high school, I had this English teacher who was in-love with the works of Shakespeare - specifically Romeo and Juliet. Who could blame her? It was unanimously the most famous love story of all time and it's still being played by kids, teens and adults in stage plays. A lot of people find forbidden love stories to be intriguing, enticing and the perfect plot for Shakespeare's work.

Since our teacher was very fond of Romeo and Juliet, she had us watch the movie. No, not the Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes one but the 1968 version which starred Leonard Whiting (the older but the more handsome "twin" of Zac Efron) and Olivia Hussey (who looks a little like Kristen Stewart).




Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Director: Franco Zeffirelli

When the now famous "star crossed lovers" of two enemy families meet, forbidden love ensues.


Trust me, it's better than Baz Luhrmann's 1996 Romeo and Juliet because when it came out, I didn't bother to watch it. For me, the latter didn't give me butterflies in my stomach like the 1968 did.

This would be the only theater play I'd definitely want to see it over and over again.




0 comments:

Post a Comment